Bay Area Jazz Anyone?

Home Forums General Discussion Bay Area Jazz Anyone?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KenKagawa 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

As my user name implies, I’m a big fan of Jazz in general, and live acoustic Jazz in particular.  I also like to support local talent and I’m always on the lookout for talented new jazz artists in the Bay Area.  If you’ve heard a local artist(s) that you could recommend who will be performing in the Bay Area, I (and possibly other members) would like to check them out.

Earlier this month I discovered The Dave Haskell Group.  I caught Dave’s quartet at The Hedley Club Lounge in the Hotel De Anza in San Jose and I have to say I’m glad I did.  From Dave’s guitar you’ll hear a mix of fusion and smooth jazz with taste of Wes Montgomery thrown in for good measure.  I thoroughly enjoyed his music.  So much so, I purchased his CD.

I believe this Saturday evening, The Dave Haskell Group will be at Juniper in Berkeley.  If you’re in the area, stop by for a listen.  You might enjoy what you hear.

mountainzen
    mountainzen
    Participant

Hi Jazz Fan – my neighbor directly across the street is a talented Jazz pianist who teaches piano (I can hear him play from my house ;-)).

He plays at local venues regularly with various other Jazz musicians – usually south Bay or Santa Cruz – his public events are listed here: http://musicmann.com/martan-manns-public-concerts-gigs/

I checked out Dave Haskell’s website – I like his sound – thanks.

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Hi mountainzen! Thanks for letting me know about Martan Mann.  I love piano.  Bill Evans is among my favorites.  I’ll have to check Martan out when he comes to San Jose.  Coincidentally, another favorite Jazz pianist of mine, Eliane Elias (although not a local artist), will be playing in your area at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz.  I checked their calendar and she’ll be there on Monday, September 15 with two performances at 7:00 and 9:00 pm (it’s a small venue, so I just just purchased my tickets tonight).  If you’re not familiar with Eliane’s vocals and piano work, she mixes modern jazz with the driving energy of her signature Brazilian samba style.  Very infectious and exciting music.  Then later that same week, on Wednesday, Larry Carlton will be at Kuumbwa.  Wow.  So many artists, so little time. 😉

I love the Bay Area.  It’s such a musically vibrant and culturally diverse place to be. I hope others will chime it with more suggestions!

Pgambon
    Participant

I suppose they are international at this point, but Tuck and Patti play smaller clubs on their home turf. Usually Yoshi’s . They are beyond incredible. The only word I can use to describe them is “truly talented”. OK two words.

jazzfan
      jazzfan
      Participant

That’s right T&P are local, but I think you’re also right in that they do play more often away from the Bay Area.  There is no denying they do have a distinctive and wonderfully intimate sound.  Thanks for mentioning them.

KenKagawa
    Participant

Tiffany Austin has a beautiful soulful nuanced voice.Ive heard her 5 or 6 times and she has to be one of the best singers Ive ever heard.

http://www.tiffanyaustinmusic.com/full-bio/

If you can listen to Blues Rock,this is the best guitar solo Ive ever heard.Even better then jazz.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.