Charles, Stephen & Carolina, and Tony at Alón's

Home Forums Shared Listening Sessions Charles, Stephen & Carolina, and Tony at Alón's

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by David Snyder David Snyder 11 months ago.

• Author
    Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster

Stephen and his wife Carolina stopped by for an extended listen; Charles drove over from South San Jose with a big box of LPs, and Tony and his girlfriend swung by after driving up to hear Albert’s system in wine country from SF.

Please add your comments to this forum so everyone can hear of your experience!

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by Alón Alón.

Tony
    Participant

It was a pleasure listening to Alón’s great system. My girlfriend really enjoyed it as well. An original vinyl recording of Kenny Burrell’s “Blue Midnight” sounded amazing on his system. I hope there are more events like this, and would like to thank Alon for extending the listening session, even though we arrived late in the day after listening to another great system.

David Snyder
    David Snyder
    Keymaster

@tony – is this the album?  https://listen.tidal.com/album/1577559

Agreed that it’s a great recording. Looking forward to hosting a listening session for you and your girlfriend whenever you feel like making the trip down to the South Bay!

And of course…I’m really looking forward to hearing Alón’s system when Deb and I can make the trip up.

Tony
    Participant

Be sure to notice thePurePower+ 2000 AC Regenerator With Battery Back-Up, and also listen to some recordings with deep bass to fully appreciate Alón’s great system.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by  Tony.
    Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words, Tony.

I enjoyed having you over to hear my system. FYI, I chose the PurePower +2000 when I upgraded to my 200Watt high-current VAC Monoblocks. As far as I can tell, no other product can do what it does without squashing the dynamics of the music signal, especially the very fast momentary spikes that power conditioners, which are essentially big filters, are notorious for suppressing.

My unit, the Pure Power 2000 delivers 10% more current than the actual wall outlet, which would be impossible without the massive battery back-up module and the conversion of the wall’s AC to perfectly clean DC stored in the battery array and then converted again to pure, totally clean and steady AC to feed your components.

To give you an idea what this entails, look at these stats. My monoblocks put out continuous 200 watts each at high current, but we all know that it’s the incredibly short transient spikes that require lots of headroom, without which they will not be able to accurately reproduce the full musical experience. The model I use puts out a continuous 1800 watts of available power, and 2340 watts for up to 2 minutes, 3600 watts for 10 seconds, and for those fleeting huge spikes that deliver all the delicate micro acoustics and detail, an astonishing 9000 watts of headroom for those instantaneous peaks that when faithfully reproduced, bring the magic to your system.

This is one the most important upgrades you can make, regardless of the cost of your system. You will hear the difference clean power makes in the first few seconds after you start making your own power!

David Snyder
    David Snyder
    Keymaster

@alon – That looks like a very cool device. Did you have a chance to compare it to the PerfectWave P10 Power Plant? I assume the Pure Power 2000 has the advantage due to the battery, but I’d be curious to know about any other differences as well. The P10 is relatively easy for me to demo since Audio High in Mountain View carries them.

Alón
      Alón
      Keymaster

David,
      The battery is a huge advantage because all the power your system can ever need is stored in those batteries as DC, and converted to AC as perfectly clean AC with so much headroom that it actually can provide 10% more high current power than you can get out of your wall receptacle! Without the huge battery array, this would be impossible.

Last winter, I was listening to music one night when all the power in the city went out… a complete grid failure that instantaneously spiked the house’s appliances and made a popping sound as the surge that can precede a blackout zapped our electrical system. What’s interesting is that my music never stopped… because the batteries feed my system from stored power, my system didn’t care what was happening at the utility because the only effect it had was that the batteries were not being charged during the blackout. My system kept playing at full volume for 57 minutes until the batteries ran out and gently powered down my entire tube driven system. That was an audiophile moment I’ll never forget!

Charles Lin
    Participant

I had a great time at Alon’s place.   @alon, thank you for being such a gracious host.

His system sounded wonderful, and so was the music.   When I came home Saturday night I immediately went online to look for some of the LPs that he had demo’ed.   Found and bought the Pink Panther by Henry Mancini on RCA.

Also looked up the Townshend Rock 7 turntable, but found that it is no longer in production (the turntable + Townshend’s own ‘Excaliber’ tonearm combination for sure, but maybe they still sell the turnable alone which can be hooked up to some 3rd-party tonearms).

Also researched on Pure Power.   Online forums say it’s great product but bad service.   There appear to be some ‘fake’ back in around 2012/13, when a person left Pure Power and started making similar product, using very similar name/logo.   I am really interested in giving it a try, but given the comments about bad service, I am a bit hesitant.   Also wondering if there is local dealer who can lend me a unit to try out at home.  If it really does magic (in my set up) I would be giving them my money in minutes.

All in all, I had a wonderful time on Saturday – first visiting Larry Deniston, then Alon.   Alon, @Larry, Thank you!   I hope there will be more of this hosting sessions to come.

Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster

Having Charles over for a system audition was great fun. He brought a big box of LPs to play. His enthusiasm was very high as we listened to track after track and discussed the merits of the performance, the recording, and the pressing.

We had such a good time that we’re doing another System audition (it’s a week later as I write this) at another local member’s home after we go record shopping at my favorite music store!

I really enjoy meeting fellow audio nut-cases with a similar listening style (eyes closed so they can “see” the performers) who are transported by the music.

I look forward to organizing more events like these for our members!

Lawrence lanes
    Participant

I’m so sorry I missed the event. My wife was getting back surgery and was in the hospital at the time. I’m sure hoping that there will be more of these auditions as I think it gets to the heart of what we do and what we are.

Larry Lanes
    PS: my wife is doing fine…

David Snyder
    David Snyder
    Keymaster

Hi Larry,

I couldn’t agree more (that these events get to the heart of what we do and are)! We’re definitely going to do this again, and hopefully with a little more advance notice so that members who are willing to open their homes (and listening rooms) can get into the action and host.  I know that you’re interested in attending these, but please let us know if you’re also interested in hosting. If so, between now and the next event, please add a page to our Members Systems with a write-up of your system and perhaps a photo or two. Let me know if you have any questions about how to upload photos…the link is here: http://sanfranciscoaudiophilesociety.com/wp-admin/media-new.php

— David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.