Classic Album Sundays

Home Forums General Discussion Classic Album Sundays

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by anomaly7 anomaly7 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

This is a little feeler to see if anyone has an interest in attending a Bay Area version of the Classic Album Sunday events that take place in London, NYC, and Portland, and Oslo (did I leave anyone out?)
    There’s some interest (mainly from me) in having a SFAS Classic Album Sunday that would link with the Classic Album Sunday people and not only be a fun event to have a few times a year, but would also help to put SFAS on the international map, so to speak.
    Small versions of the Classic Album Sunday that I’ve attended with friends locally are really my favorite audio events as they’re about just listening to the music- without a focus on the gear- though the gear has always been good. It’s really about getting back to listening to albums all the way through, or at least one side all the way through, without interruption as the artists intended they be heard.
    http://classicalbumsundays.com/about/
    Check out the link and reply to this post if you have an interest in attending an event like this.

russbutton
    Participant

Sounds like fun!  Keep me in mind.

Russ

anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

I see this hasn’t been updated in many years (:-)) but I hope anyone reading this notes that we’ve been doing “Deep Listening” sessions with David Gans. These event Rock ! And ya’all should be attending them.

darkj
    darkj
    Participant

Someone at church just pinged me on this and suggested that we start up a local group – partly as an intergenerational and community event hosted by Mt. Diablo Unitarian Universalist Church (NOT a religious outreach event, as UUs are not that way).

Has anyone been doing this? What are your experiences?

anomaly7
      anomaly7
      Participant

Hi John,

Infrequently, but a few times a year I’ve been lucky enough to partake in some informal album side listening sessions,  generally with with 3 to 5 people total. Most of the participants have been members of the SFAS, but occasionally friends who don’t want to take the time to formally join a club have coordinated a gathering. Of course, it used to be getting together to listen to a record or two was just something that people did, before the digital age rendered listening something anyone could do at anytime in any location no matter what else you might be occupied with.  Now that we are all bombarded with media delivered on devices that we carry in our pockets, and most people have a media interface as part of the fabric of their work environment, setting aside some of our precious little free time to gather with friends for unplugging by engaging in the vinyl format is an effective tonic for detoxing from the pollution  that media delivery saturation has become. IMHO anyway.

I’m sure Larry would be up for a gathering, as would I. That’s a good start for a quorum, yes?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.