How to optimize Subwoofer integration?

Home Forums Help Needed How to optimize Subwoofer integration?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by fotomeow fotomeow 1 month ago.

• Author
    fotomeow
    fotomeow
    Participant

hey folks,

I’m at the point of wanting to integrate a proper sub into my 2 channel system.

I understand that I can control the gain and frequency of the low end of the sub,via the sub.

But is there a way to do the inverse? Can I reduce the low end of the speakers to about 45 hz and use the sub instead from about  44 hz and below?

If possible, how would that work? e.g., use an external crossover for the floor standers?

thanks!! Gary

Rig: (Bel Canto DAC–> PrimaLuna Dialogue HP tubed integrated–> Dali Helicon 400 floor standers, Spatial M3 Triode Masters, and coming soon Dynaudio S3.4 Contours (thanks Joe)

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Hi Gary,

First, I have to say, that’s quite a collection of speakers you have. You’ll have to tell me which setup you prefer.

To answer your question, the crossover frequency of your sub and your mains are both determined by your crossover, whether it be an internal crossover integrated with the sub, or an external crossover that is used for both the sub and mains. The type of crossover used (internal or external) is generally determined by your choice of subs. Most subs I’ve used have an integrated internal crossover which I use to set both the crossover frequency and the output level of the sub to match the mains. The following article goes into the particulars of setup, connections, configuration and calibration basics.

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/basic-subwoofer-setup

I hope that helps. If you have other questions, I’ll be more than happy to get back to you with an answer. Send me a pm if you’d like to discuss this further.

fotomeow
    fotomeow
    Participant

Thanks Jazzfan,
    I will check out tha5 site.
    I’m interested in a Zu Audio Undertone sub, here:
    http://www.zuaudio.com/subs/undertone
    I’m not well-versed on the in/out sub options, but I believe I could hook up a DSP via the digital signal bypass. Here is a pic of the rear hookups in the attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.