July 2016 Music Recommendations

Home Forums Music July 2016 Music Recommendations

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Alón Alón 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster
    Leslie’s Pick:  I’ve been enjoying an album called Johannesburg that Mumford & Sons recorded in February on their South Africa tour.  It’s only five songs and sounds like a cross between Mumford and Vampire Weekend as they collaborated with several other bands so it is distinctly different sounding.  It’s similar to when Paul Simon went on his African Music kick.  I would recommend listening to it on a hot day out on the porch sipping a nice cool drink.  As you can imagine, the vocals are pretty stunning as you’ve got the combination of the strong lead solos by Baaba Maal layered on top of beautiful Mumford harmonies.  It’s truly a joyous sound.  My only gripe is that it’s only 5 songs but they are all terrific.

David’s Pick: After reading a bit of Yma Sumac’s bio on Wikepedia and the Amazon LP description of her album Miracles,  I had no hesitation about forking over some change to buy my recording recommendation for the month.

I can’t remember where I read about Yma Sumac first, but it was probably some audiophile referencing the sound of one of her songs played back through their system. Pursuing an artist based upon a print review reference holds the potential for wasting our time and money, but we are fortunate enough these days in that we can hear samples of music on Amazon, or whole tracks on Tidal and elsewhere.
    I hadn’t signed up for Tidal when I bought this LP and I didn’t find any MP3’s to stream of Yma Sumacs recordings, but after reading about her I purchased this album in vinyl, and picked up 7 of her LP’s on a 4 compact disc collection for $12.49 on Amazon. 7 CD’s for $12.49 !
    I can’t tell you how this re-release sounds compared to the original recordings, but as the description says, this was remastered from the original master tapes, and I didn’t find the sound quality objectionable or a distraction from the singing.

Joe’s Pick: My pick for this month is Traffic, The Low Spark of High Heeled
    Boys. This is arguably the best sounding of the Traffic albums and on a good vinyl copy, the presence and transparency of the music is excellent. The handclaps during the title track really stand out and are remarkably lifelike.
    I love this music – jazzy, psychedelic, rock at its best – Steve Winwood only 22 or 23 at the time and already masterful at the keyboards.

Jay’s  Pick: My pick for the month is The Atlantic Years in Mono by John Coltrane.  This set of five classic albums includes three of my favorites:  Giant Steps, Ole, and Coltrane Plays the Blues.  I’ve enjoyed the stereo versions for years but like a lot of 60s recordings, these split the instruments to the left and right channels.  The new mono set gives these recording a solidity and power that greatly increases the intensity of the music, particularly on headphones.  This was a surprise.  I’m not a snob that prefers the mono version of most recordings.  For example, I have Sergeant Pepper’s and Rubber Soul on mono LPs, and I don’t like them as much as the stereo mixes. I have only listened to this set on Tidal so far.  There is also an LP set that is worth considering.

Larry’s Pick: My current album of the month is the hi rez download of Patricia Barber’s “A Distortion of Love”.  This is one of her earlier albums, released in 1992, which is elegant in it’s simplicity and quality of production.  I’ve been using the first track, “Summertime” to help with equipment comparisons as it includes a good mix of bass, vocals and cymbals.  Patricia’s creative talents never cease to amaze me.
    Albert’s Pick: I found this album while browsing artists on Tidal. I’ve always been a JJ fan! Started in high school with the “Look Sharp” album. And as my musical interests and tastes have evolved and expanded, so has Joe’s. I’ve been lucky to see him live more than a few times. First was way back in summer ’91 at the Greek Theater. Then a couple more times locally at the Luther Burbank Theater. Just last month he was touring for the Fast Forward album and put on a great show and performance in SF at The Palace of Fine Arts.
    I picked up the vinyl at the venue to give to Laurent as a thank you for his hard work with SFAS and parting gift for his new job in Madison. I think he likes it.
    As Joe explained at the show, there are four sides to the album. Each named for the city where the songs were recorded. The title track is what grabbed my attention with both lyric and musical progression. There is lots more to listen for in this album. I liked it so much, I also bought the CD for a digital rip on to my NAS library. Y’all should check it out.
    Alón’s Pick: In the summer of 2001, I was ambling through the calm streets ofPoint Reyes Station on a weekend getaway. Drawn in by the strumming of a guitar and a haunting voice, I wandered into a practically empty room and sat down a few chairs away from a low stage and listened to Jolie Holland, a singer/songwriter who has become one of my all-time favorite musicians. I was mesmerized. Her lush creole-bluegrass infused tunes had me hooked. I bought her band’s debut CD from the stack she had with her and wished her the best. This wonderful and well-recorded album, Blue Horse, by The Be Good Tanyas, somehow did not get the attention I feel it deserved, and sadly, this was the only album she did with this band.
    Jay_S
    Jay_S
    Participant

Good choices!  Looking forward to the next round.

Rockfish8
    Participant

rtI’ve been listening to Richard Thompson’s music for a long, long time, and his latest sees Thompson at the top of his game. He is prodigiously talented both as a guitarist and a songwriter, and performs live on what seems like a never-ending schedule. Those of you who have hair as white as mine will recall his early days with Fairport Convention and co-star Sandy Denny, his wife at the time. Fairport dissolved and his marriage followed suit. But that’s ancient history. And now he reaches a new peak.  His latest, Still, showcases some of the finest songs of his career in an album produced by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. Thompson’s guitar remains prominent, and his lyrics biting and clever. This is basic, straight-ahead rock performed by a master of the form with great sound quality. (I can’t stop without mentioning Electric, what I think of as a companion album, released prior to Still and similar in style.  Get ‘em both.  You’ll be glad you did.)

Alón
      Alón
      Keymaster

Steve, this album is awesome! You’re right, he just keeps getting better. Thanks!

Larry Deniston
    Larry Deniston
    Participant

Thanks to Tidal and Roon, I’ve been able to check out some of the recommended music and am currently listening to and enjoying Alon’s artist pick Jolie Holland (different album though).

Larry

Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster

Which album did you choose, Larry?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.