Levitating turntables

Home Forums The Art of Audio Levitating turntables

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by anomaly7 anomaly7 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

Okay, I’ll admit that I’ve got ceramic disc magnets that repel each other and provide life for the 65 lb platter on my DIY turntable, but the Mag-Lev turntable    Check out the world’s first “levitating” turntable takes the idea of magnetic levitation to it’s ultimate evolution. I see quite a few potential difficulties with this design, but I am intrigued enough to want to see one of these when they eventually come to market.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Alón
    Alón
    Keymaster

David, it’s really cool, but why does it look like it’s on fire?

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Admittedly a visually intriguing design. But beyond that, I’m curious to know how this technology is superior to existing turntable designs.

anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

Alon, a splendid observation (on fire) that I didn’t notice until you pointed it out! A nearby bar-b-q perhaps?

Jazzfan- That this design is superior to existing turntable designs will be a matter of debate. he purported advantage would be that there could be no bearing noise transmitted to the platter- there being no bearing that the platter is riding on. Now, will there be trade offs by using this method (levitation) for spinning the platter? Undoubtedly. Worth the trade off?

David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.