Life in the echo chamber

Home Forums Members’ Systems Life in the echo chamber

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Philtax 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Philtax
    Participant

Well, some truthful hyperbole there. My system sits in a large family room plus kitchen, about 18×37 feet all told, with 9 foot ceilings. Three sliding glass doors in family room, a breakfast nook, and an opening to the house’s entry hall. Hardwood floors, but at least we have a rug in front of the speakers…and the sliding glass doors do have a thinnish cloth blind that can be lowered but it mostly stays up. Oh, and a glass covered fireplace in the wall between the speakers, but we do have bookcases directly behind the speakers. When I listen to music, I move the speakers out about five feet into the room, and there’s a recliner in front of the FP.

No room treatment…It could get loud.

I go into all this because we moved into this house about 2 years ago and I’m still not sure about its acoustics or the impact of the new pieces I had to add at the same time as we moved in. My old CJ PV-5 preamp and Benz Glider cartridge as well as my speaker cables(!) gave up the ghost at the same time as the move, and I never actually was able to listen to the original system in the new house, so I have no real baseline for comparing new and old. My old Berkeley living / dining room was a space which I loved, but it was about 30% smaller than this. One thing about this room, it doesn’t seem to have any bass bumps and feels very open. I would like to try some removable diffuser / sound absorption panels and see what they do but haven’t gotten to it yet.

OK, so my system –

Analogue

SOTA Sapphire turntable, and Sumiko FT-3 arm, both 1985.    Benz Micro Wood SM cartridge, 2016
    Manley Chinook phono preamp, 2016
    Conrad-Johnson ET-3 tube (well, one tube) line stage, 2016
    Manley 75+75 amplifier, 1998
    NOLA KO speakers, 2013. Carl Marchisotto designs and I go back a long way. I have some probably non-functional DQ-10s in the garage…along with Alon 2s
    NOLA Blue Thunder speaker cables, 2016
    Hodgepodge of interconnects, some better than others

All stock power cords – when did this become a thing?

Digital
    Apple iMac with 4TB external drive for music files, almost all from ripped CDs
    Amarra software, Tidal subscription (OMG!), Apple Remote
    Musical Fidelity DAC, 2013
    Audioquest Dragonfly Red MQA DAC(!), 2017

Overall I love it, mainly because I love the NOLAs
    Occasionally think about getting a DAC in a box

Thinking about replacing my decent but nondescript equipment stand. In the old house this fit neatly into a closet in an adjoining room but here it sits to the left of the speakers.

Also thinking about vibration control.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Philtax.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.