Schiit Freya Preamp

Home Forums General Discussion Schiit Freya Preamp

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by fotomeow fotomeow 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Rob Morrell
    Participant

Everyone,

This is my first post here and I’m a little hampered by the fact my right hand and arm are not very helpful right now so please bare with me.

After purchasing a Schiit Valhalla II headphone amp which I upgraded with some Siemens E188CC tubes to a remarkable effect. Once broken in it sounded better (More Musical) than my Auralic Tourus II and very close to my Krell KSA-5 although not up to the level of my Mal Valve IV. but at about $500 all in, amazing and I could listen to it everyday Musical and fun above all else.

Being so impressed by the Valhalla, I wanted to try more. My partner had grown tired of me talking about it and ordered me a Freya so I ordered some Northern Electric 6SN7 tubes, I heard the stock units had issues. I just got the preamp today, installed the upgraded tubes and hooked it up. We are at about $1000 here all in, for a Tube preamp! New! It’s only been running for a couple hours so I can’t say too much but it’s very musical, punchy and detailed. I have it hooked up with all Balanced Transparent Audio Reference MM cables in and out, a Pangea 14SEV2 power cord into a Tice Music Block three and then a Torus 200 amp isolation transformer. It’s only hooked up to one thing right now my DCS Vivaldi DAC and running a Krell 402E into Transparent Reference speaker cables to Apogee Diva Ultimate’s. All I can say is wow, it sounds more musical and more fun than the Vivaldi direct, a bigger soundstage. Trumpets and Vilins have more bite. Not sure until it breaks in some what we are going to end up with but I can say it does not sound AR 5SE yet, but very close to that. Far better than the Vivaldi direct or with a AR LS15 in there. Bang for the buck? Massive! We will see after  few days but so far I am very impressed, Nichicon and Wima caps, resister ladder relay controlled volume, nice power supply, just Brilliant. Congratulations Schiit Audio, your Schiit smells lovely!

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your “schiity” experiences. 😉 I own several pieces of Schiit gear as well and can attest to their reasonable price and high value.

BTW… welcome to SFAS!

fotomeow
    fotomeow
    Participant

Thanks Rob,

I own the Schiit Lyr 2, for a small preamp, that is primarily designed as a headphone amp, its hybrid SS and tube supplies, makes this a product with high-value. It is versatile, as well as sounding great (esp. with upgraded tubes) and out-performs any other $500 unit by wide margins. I love Schiit!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.