The Skinner Organ: A Legion of Honor treasure

Home Forums General Discussion The Skinner Organ: A Legion of Honor treasure

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by jazzfan jazzfan 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Over the past Labor Day weekend, I had the pleasure of experiencing an recital performed by guest organist Brian Swager at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco.  His performance included the works of John Cook, Felix Mendelssohn, J.S. Bach and Charles-Marie Widor.

Brian played the Skinner Organ built in 1924, a remarkable instrument consisting of over 4,500 pipes hidden seamlessly within the architecture of the museum.  The resultant sound emanating from this remarkable instrument resonates through the main Rodin Gallery and floats into adjacent galleries of the museum.  It is a sound the must be experienced live to be fully appreciated, and a majestically powerful sound that you will not soon forget.

If you have never experienced a pipe organ live, you own it to yourself to attend a performance at the Legion of Honor.  Performances are on Saturday and Sundays at 4:00 pm and are free with the price of museum admission. For a list of programs and guest organists (click here).

anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

Wow. This sounds fun, as I agree that there is no instrument like a large pipe organ, because well, there isn’t. One of my favorite demo pieces is Bach’s Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor, BWV 582

I received the recording on a demo CD from a speaker manufacturer who could not remember where that particular piece had come from. For many years it has been a goal of mine to discover the source and get the entire recording. Someday. Perhaps I can bring it to one of these performances and one of the performers would recognize the organ and the recording. It is unique.

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

@anomaly7 – Yes, I would highly recommended this Bay Area activity. A very enjoyable way to spend a weekend afternoon.

Regarding the origin of your demo track, send me a PM with the CD details and I’ll try to assist further.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.