Tube be or not tube be

Home Forums Members’ Systems Tube be or not tube be

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by hi5harry hi5harry 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    hi5harry
    hi5harry
    Participant

Audio Shakespeare.  I guess I made that decision a long time ago. Way back in the old days when tubes were a lot better sounding than transistors. Now they both sound great, but I’m stuck with all these glass bottles!  Tube amps with Citation 2 transformers, and 12 tube phono stage are hand made ( not by me).  I did build the turntable , but only because a very good friend built one first, then helped me build mine. It has the Artemis TL-1 arm, Lyra Atlas, and Teres Versus rim drive. Pre is the Audio Research Anniversary 40. UltraRendu  server to modified Auralic Vega and Roon for digital.  Speakers are the Evolution Acoustics MM3’s augmented with Acapella Ion tweeters( even they have tubes). Shun Mook feet all around. Dalby feet on the pre. TWL Obsession pc’s. Tara interconnects.  My room is a work in progress, but nice and cozy with 42 tubes glowing!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

That’s an awesome system hi5harry, and if I’m not mistaken, that looks like quite a unique rim drive TT to boot! Thanks for sharing your pics.

hi5harry
    hi5harry
    Participant

Thanks Jazzfan, We need to get you over here so you can hear it. My room is 18 feet by 18 feet. so not ideal. With some room treatment I have been able to make it sound decent from one listening chair only.  For that reason, I usually try to make listening sessions with only a couple audiophiles. That way everyone gets their time in the sweet spot. You will definatly notice the family resemblance when you hear the MM3’s!

hi5harry
    hi5harry
    Participant

A little better pic of the turntable/ tonearm

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jim Bird
    Participant

I for one would love to hear your system, if you are up for it. I’ve always wanted to hear the MM3’s.

I’ll bring some great vinyl and wine!

Where are you located?

Jim

hi5harry
    hi5harry
    Participant

Those are two of my favorite things Jim!  I should have some free time coming up in the next couple weeks. I would love for you to come over. We will get together soon!

anomaly7
    anomaly7
    Participant

I too am a fan of the Citation transformers and tubes. I have a pair of  mono blocs with the Citation transformers that have been sitting unused for a couple of years, but I love them.  I’ve also got a DIY table, that started when I saw a friends DIY Teres bearing TT. Many years later, and I’m still tweaking it, this time with a new motor and controller, in the hopes that its perfection will finally be realized (hah!)

Nice looking system, and I hope you’re enjoying it all.

David

hi5harry
    hi5harry
    Participant

Very cool David. Lets see some pics! I have really enjoyed building my turntable. Which motor/ controller did you go with?  I have been very impressed with the Teres Versus rim drive. I would love to see pics of the mono amps too. Did you build them?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.