Wire gauge requirements…

Home Forums Questions and Answers Wire gauge requirements…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rockfish8 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Rockfish8
    Participant

This is hopefully very basic, but that never seems to be the case!

I have a pair of KEF R500 speakers connected to an Anthem Integrated 225 using Audioquest FLX DB 14-12 cable. In short, 14GA copper wires.

I also have a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver circa 1978 that I recently took to the Yamaha service center and had them clean switches, resolder parts, replace LEDs, etc. I found a near new condition Walnut case on E-Bay and put that on. It’s beautiful! However, it will only accept a very tiny, light gauge wire. The connections are spring loaded and to install cable I press down a lever that lines up a hole with another hole inside the unit, and then I insert the wire and release the spring loaded lever to grab the wire. It worked for many years so it should still work, right?

So my question — not having enough light gauge wire to reach the speaker I tried removing strands from the last inch or so of the heavy gauge wire until what was left was about the size of the lighter wire, and then soldering those last strands to make a connection. So, 1) to use the heavier wire with the few strands remaining on the end or 2) buy more of the thin wire so there’s only one thickness, however teeny, the length of the wire, or 3) don’t even try to hook up the Yamaha. Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rockfish8

jazzfan
    jazzfan
    Participant

Hi Rockfish8,

The CR-2020 is a beautiful classic.  You should be able to find pin connectors that will allow you to use your 14GA wire.  Monster makes angled gold pin connectors that don’t require the use of a crimping tool.  A lower cost alternative would be a screw lock type that accepts bare wire from Monoprice.  You have many options,  so please don’t give up on the Yamaha.  PM me if you’d like me to send you some links.

Good luck

Rockfish8
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I did some snooping around and found connectors that should do the trick. Hopefully they’ll be here next week. Can’t wait to hear the older components and compare the now ancient Yamaha to the Anthem. Cheers.

Rockfish8
    Participant

I got the pin connectors and tried them out. No go. While the connectors easily attached to my wires, the depth of the hole where the connectors attach is less than half the connector length, and with only half the pin inserted the cables quickly fell out. But I didn’t quit. I went back to bare wire, trimmed the ends to fit in the holes and hooked them up. So far they work fine, and the system so far sounds pretty good with the Yamaha. Thanks for the support!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.