Mac Mini as remote music streamer

Home Forums Digital Discussion Forum Mac Mini as remote music streamer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      BrianAudio
      Participant

I want to connect my Internet high-res music streaming from Amazon, Tidal, etc from a Mac Mini into my Parasound P6. That hookup is simple, but I’d like to control the playlist with my iPad with a Remote Desktop or similar scheme. Does anyone have some experience or insight here?
      Thanks! Brian

Larry Deniston
      Keymaster

Hi Brian,

I’m not sure, but I’ve forwarded your question to our digital gurus who, I’m sure, can give you some quidance.

Best, Larry

Larry Deniston
      Keymaster

Hi Brian,

Just checking in to see if you have any solutions yet?

Larry

BrianAudio
      Participant

Not yet Larry. Thanks for checking…

Brian

Larry Deniston
      Keymaster

From Jazzfan:

While you wait for a response from the experts, here are some ideas I can share. I can’t say I have experience with this solution because I’m not a Mac user. However, I’ve read Plex Media Server https://www.plex.tv/your-media/ is a popular choice for the Mac OS. Plex is not the only media manager solution available, but it’s open-source, and the free version supports streaming movies, TV, and music. I believe you can also link an existing Tidal account with a Plex account, so your Tidal Favorites appear in Plex. If Amazon Music is a must, Plex would not be a good option because there is no direct support for Amazon content, as far as I know. Although, you may be able to manually download Amazon content and add it to a Plex managed folder. If you only need to stream Tidal and your local music library, Plex could be an inexpensive solution. Here are a few links to help you decide if Plex might be right for you.

My New Mac Mini Plex Server!

Turn a Mac mini into a media server with Plex

https://www.macworld.com/article/3017425/turn-a-mac-mini-into-a-media-server-with-plex.html

Plex Mobile Media Player for iPad and iPhone (Review)

One alternative to Plex that I actually use is Roon. https://roonlabs.com/ Roon is a much more costly “music only” streaming option, but I have a lifetime subscription and it serves my needs. Roon has support for both Tidal and Qobuz.

Hopefully, others more familiar with the Apple ecosystem will be able to suggest other options. Whatever you decide, come back and let us know how it turns out.
      Attachments area
      Preview YouTube video My New Mac Mini Plex Server!

Preview YouTube video Plex Mobile Media Player for iPad and iPhone (Review)

Bob Stern
      Participant

Brian, the absolute simplest solution to try, although not the most user-friendly, is what you already stated: remote desktop. Install any VNC client app on your iPad and turn on Screen Sharing on your Mac Mini (System Prefs > Sharing > Screen Sharing checkbox).

The Qobuz music streaming service has a polished iOS client. If you like it enough, you may decide to use Qobuz most of the time and use screen sharing only for music available on Amazon or Tidal but not Qobuz.

If that doesn’t meet your needs, you’ll need a client/server system as suggested by Larry, but that’s more complicated. I have no experience with that, but you’ll get lots of help if you post a question on:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/forum/20-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/

BrianAudio
      Participant

Thanks Bob! I think I’ve discovered a solution that’s better than the Chrome Remote Desktop that did work with their browser. Our friend Paul at PS Audio uses Screens to control his Mac MINI exactly like I plan to with his iPad. I’ve bought their software but now need to spend a bit of time getting the devices to shake hands instead of social distancing. If it works as advertised, I’ll report back.
      Brian

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.